Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Cup Cozy and Coasters for Friends...

Happy Valentine's Day!  I don't have much planned for today, since it's the middle of the week and we have other obligations tonight, but Hubby and I are going to go out tomorrow night and catch a movie, something we rarely do, especially a grown-up movie without the kids!

Eventually, I'd like my blog to have interesting patterns and current projects to inspire others and hopefully get some feedback from all the creative folks out there.  But, since I'm just starting up I thought I'd put up a few pictures of one of the most recent projects I made.  

I apologize straight out for the poor quality of the photos.  I am NOT a photographer, and I know that I have much to learn!  With these photos I've tried using a do-it-yourself light box and an Ott lamp source.  Well, let's just say I have more work to do! 

A group of friends and I meet once a month for Girl's Night Out....also known as GNO.  It's potluck, with the hostess providing the main course and everyone else bringing side dishes, desserts, and drinks.  Husbands and kids are NOT ALLOWED!!  I think we're going on three years now, and while we may have skipped a month or two, we've always managed to stick to our rules and honestly, I think some of the  husbands are starting to have as much fun taking the kids out!  We play a game, usually a card game or dice, and then exchange gifts with a friendly "Now You Have It, Now You Don't" style.  It's fun!  This month I've made crocheted coasters and a cup cozy to match, with a cute heart in honor of Valentine's Day.


I used Sugar and Cream cotton yarn in variegated pink and white for the centers, and used white for the border.  These are the coasters....




I then cut out a couple of heart shapes from some felt, in a light pink and a darker pink, and hand-stitched them together...we'll call it "rustic" since my stitching is far from perfect! 





Then I stitched the hearts to the cup cozy....



I thought it turned out pretty cute!  I'm not showing how the cozy is made since I need a button to finish it, and I don't have one in my stash so I've temporarily pinned the cozy on. :-)




Here are the all coasters and the cup cozy.  Since our rule is no gift over $10, I don't think I'll give the coffee cup as part of the gift.  That's okay, since I'm sure most of my friends are like me and have way too many mugs in their cupboards!



That's all I have for today. What kind of things do you all do with your friends?  I'd love to hear from you!   Thanks for stopping by!

Vanessa


2 comments:

  1. Love these!! The warmer is super cute!! I may have to give this a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Craftymomma! Look for more quick projects in the near future!

      Delete